Explore the glorious Countryside by downloading one of six walking guides below. The walks were created as part of the Growing Green tourism project with Herefordshire Nature Trust.
Please use the Countryside Code as many fields are currently maternity wards
Enjoy bringing your dog on Holiday following the Dog Walking code
- Herefordshire Art Week h.Art gives you nine days to access Herefordshire''s Open Studios event, giving you exclusive access to artists'' studios, workshops & exhibitions.
- The Abergavenny Food Festival is a Gourmet's delight on the 16th & 17th
- 17th - 20th September Kington Walking Festival
- Pye (Gypsy Cob powering the 17th Century Cider mill) will be returning to Fair Oak for another open weekend on (Date tbc). Fair Oak Cider is a ‘limited edition’ made in collaboration with St Margarets Cider Co. It bears a label featuring an image of Pye driving the mill.
- Herefordshire Craft Fair
- Christmas Craft Fair ~ Longtown Village Hall Saturday
- Want to Celebrate in our beautiful local churches, look up servies and celebrations for the Black Mountains Benefice here
- Carols round the Christmas tree, Michaelchurch Pavillion
- Carols around Village Christmas tree in Ewyas Harold
- Meet the New Year in with a brisk walk in the mountains setting your priorities for the year ahead in 2018. If you are lucky you may wake up to snow covered fields that are an inspiration to everyone.
- Longtown Wassail, There's a torchlit procession to the castle, music, Morris dancing and cider, and a mummers play at the hall later, as well as a bar and hot food. Collection for the Joy Emmanuel School in Uganda. 2019 date tbc
- 25th January St Dwynwen's Day, the Welsh patron saint of lovers, we are just over the border in wales and think this day needs celebrating. We have so many specail areas to hold hands when walking or many places for a delicious meal to share with someone special in your life.
- Join us for our inagural event for Coffee at the Cat's Back, we are offering black mountain roast coffee and encourage you to walk and contemplate. We have been inspired by Mungo to enjoy the day and what better way than Coffee on the Cat's Back.
- We have a wealth of places to take that someone special in your life, book accommodation & tables early to avoid disappointment for Valentines 14th Feb
- Saturday 9th - 17th March 2019 Crickhowell Walking Festival 9 days of guided walks and events in and around Crickhowell the Black Mountains
- Borderliner Film Festival. Friday 1st March - Sunday 17th 2019 The UK's largest rural film festival with more than 200 films showing at around 30 venues throughout Herefordshire and Shropshire
- Saturday 31st March Vowchurch Easter Market 10am -12noon
- Easter Sunday. Greet the risen Lord at Dawn Eucharist on the highest mountain in southern England (and #HerefordDiocese) Meet at Black Hill Car Park (SO 288328) at 6.00am. #HTnewsroom #avicarslife
- Rowlestone Ice Cream Parlour and walks opens for the season, please check website for dates and times (Get yourself a family pass and bag a bargain
- Friday 4th - Monday 7th 2018 Talgarth Walking Festival, The ancient market town of Talgarth is an ideal base for visitors wishing to explore the Brecon Beacons National Park on foot, particularly as it forms the "Gateway to the Black Mountains". We offer visitors a taste of our town and the wonderful walking opportunities we have on our doorstep. We hope that you thoroughly enjoy your experience with us and return to our town in the near future.
- Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th 2018 National Mills Weekend watermills are open in the area.
- Saturday 12th May 2018 Big Black Mountain Challenge an annual fund raising event, consists of a choice of three testing walks/runs of 43km, 29km and 16km between them taking in 15 summits over 660m around the breathtaking scenery of the Black Mountains. The event starts and finishes at LLanthony Priory located in the Honddu Valley in the Vale of Ewyas.
- The end of May is the time of the world famous Hay on Wye International Literature Festival 24th May - 4th June 2018
- 26th May - 3rd June Malvern walking Festival
- Darren's Dash from Longtown Primary School (2018 date tbc)
- Herefordshire Walking Festival 16th - 24th June 2018 come and explore our glorious valleys and streams.
- The must attend event is the four day Royal Welsh Show everything to see and do from 8am in the morning to 8pm for anyone interested in the Countryside, Arts and Animals.
Llanthony Show will be held on Saturday 5th, founded back in 1961. It is one of the only shows of its kind still, completely organised by local volunteers, with no major corporate sponsorship involved. The Show''s popularity is based on local support on a strictly non-commercial basis.
Longtown Show ~ Saturday at Llanwonog Farm Longtown is a small rural village situated at the foot of the Black Mountains, 14 miles from Abergavenny, 18 miles from Hereford and 15 miles from Hay-on-Wye, famous as a book town and home to the annual literary festival. The show is a traditional country event combining a horse show, dog show, livestock classes, produce, vegtable and handicraft classes, children's and family sports and games, rural craft demonstrations, many more attractions and lots of food and drink.
You might be interested in the these places:
Retail Shops Buying local in Herefordshire
- Hopes of Longtown
- West End Garage
- Mailes Butchers
- E W Morgan & Sons
- Forage Fine Foods
- Poston Mill Shop
- Ty Gwyn Cider Ltd
Things to do activites in herefordshire
- Puddlestone Nursery
- Gwatkin Cider Company Ltd
- Forage Courses with Liz Knight
- The Goat Company
- Learn Woodworking skills at Little Trewern
- Battlelands - Paintballing
- Bespoke by Nature Occasions
- The Little Blue Elephant Play Cafe
- Cwmbwlch Workshops
- A Taste of France - French Baking at Little Trewern
- Tan House - River Monnow fishing
- The Garden of the Wind
- Woodlands Edge
Eating & Drinking herefordshire
- Rowlestone Farmhouse Ice cream
- The Temple Bar Inn
- The Mill
- The Bridge Inn
- Old Stables Fish & Chip Shop
- The Crown Inn
- Food For Thought
- White Haywood Farm Restaurant
- The Hub Cafe
Therapies in Herefordshire
Group activities Herefordshire
Party Venues for Weddings Birthdays and Family Gatherings
Need to stay longer?
Check out the B&B's, self-catering and camping in the area.
Nigel Ward Auctions for those who really want to find treasure in the Golden Valley
If you wish to cycle the Golden Valley, contact Drover Holidays who can deliver cycles to your door and they have electric bikes to help you cope with the Black Mountains.
For a quick guide of festivals in Herefordshire