Explore the glorious Countryside by downloading one fo the seven walking guides below. The walks were created as part of the Growing Green tourism project with Herefordshire Nature Trust.
Michaelchurch Escley (PDF 11MB)
- Meet the New Year in with a brisk walk in the mountains setting your priorities for the year ahead in 2018. If you are lucky you may wake up to snow covered fields that are an inspiration to everyone.
- Longtown Wassail, Saturday 13th January, meeting at Longtown village hall car park at 7pm. There's a torchlit procession to the castle, music, Morris dancing and cider, and a mummers play at the hall later, as well as a bar and hot food. Collection for the Joy Emmanuel School in Uganda.
- 25th January St Dwynwen's Day, the Welsh patron saint of lovers, we are just over the border in wales and think this day needs celebrating. We have so many specail areas to hold hands when walking or many places for a delicious meal to share with someone special in your life.
- Join us for our inagural event for Coffee at the Cat's Back, we are offering black mountain roast coffee and encourage you to walk and contemplate. We have been inspired by Mungo to enjoy the day and what better way than Coffee on the Cat's Back.
- We have a wealth of places to take that someone special in your life, book accommodation & tables early to avoid disappointment for Valentines 14th Feb
- Saturday 27th February to 4th March 2016 Crickhowell Walking Festival 9 days of guided walks and events in and around Crickhowell the Black Mountains
- Borderliner Film Festival. The UK's largest rural film festival with more than 200 films showing at around 30 venues throughout Herefordshire and Shropshire
- Saturday 15th April Rowlestone Ice Cream Parlour and walks opens for the season. (Get yourself a family pass and bag a bargain)
- Easter Sunday 16th April meet at Black Hill Carpark at 5.40am to climb the ridge for a 6.10am Dawn Eucharist - All Welcome
- 28th April - 1st May 2016 Talgarth Walking Festival, The ancient market town of Talgarth is an ideal base for visitors wishing to explore the Brecon Beacons National Park on foot, particularly as it forms the "Gateway to the Black Mountains". We offer visitors a taste of our town and the wonderful walking opportunities we have on our doorstep. We hope that you thoroughly enjoy your experience with us and return to our town in the near future.
- Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th National Mills Weekend watermills are open in the area.
- Saturday 13th May Big Black Mountain Challenge an annual fund raising event, consists of a choice of three testing walks/runs of 43km, 29km and 16km between them taking in 15 summits over 660m around the breathtaking scenery of the Black Mountains. The event starts and finishes at LLanthony Priory located in the Honddu Valley in the Vale of Ewyas.
- The end of May is the time of the world famous Hay on Wye International Literature Festival
- Ewyas Harold Fesitval of Arts, 27th to 29th a chance to see some wonderful talent of our area from crafts to exhibitions in various location, look ou tfor more details
- 27th May - 4th June Malvern walking Festival
- 17th Darren's Dash from Longtown Primary School
- Herefordshire Walking Festival 17th - 25th June come and explore our glorious valleys and streams. The festival opens on Saturday 13th June 2015 with an exploration of Hereford
- Ledbury Poetry Festival
- The must attend event is the four day Royal Welsh Show everything to see and do from 8am in the morning to 8pm for anyone interested in the Countryside, Arts and Animals.
- Llanthony Show will be held on Saturday 5th, founded back in 1961. It is one of the only shows of its kind still, completely organised by local volunteers, with no major corporate sponsorship involved. The Show''s popularity is based on local support on a strictly non-commercial basis.
Longtown Show ~ Saturday at Llanwonog Farm Longtown is a small rural village situated at the foot of the Black Mountains, 14 miles from Abergavenny, 18 miles from Hereford and 15 miles from Hay-on-Wye, famous as a book town and home to the annual literary festival. The show is a traditional country event combining a horse show, dog show, livestock classes, produce, vegtable and handicraft classes, children's and family sports and games, rural craft demonstrations, many more attractions and lots of food and drink.
Michaelchurch Escley, Annual Duck Race Weekend. Live Music Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights. Duck race Saturday 26th at the Bridge Inn, Fun begins at 2pm
- Herefordshire Art Week h.Art gives you nine days to access Herefordshire''s Open Studios event, giving you exclusive access to artists'' studios, workshops & exhibitions.
- The Abergavenny Food Festival is a Gourmet's delight on the 16th & 17th
- 17th - 20th September Kington Walking Festival
- Pye (Gypsy Cob powering the 17th Century Cider mill) will be returning to Fair Oak for another open weekend on October 29/30th 20016. Fair Oak Cider is a ‘limited edition’ made in collaboration with St Margarets Cider Co. It bears a label featuring an image of Pye driving the mill.
- Herefordshire Craft Fair
- Christmas Craft Fair ~ Longtown Village Hall Saturday
- Want to Celebrate in our beautiful local churches, look up servies and celebrations for the Black Mountains Benefice here
- Saturday 9th December, Musical merriment at Hopes of Longtown 2pm -3.30pm in the stable!
- Craswall YFC Panto, Friday 15th & Saturday 16th December at Longtown Village Hall
- Carols round the Christmas tree, Michaelchurch Pavillion
- Carols around Village Christmas tree in Ewyas Harold
You might be interested in the these places:
Group activities Herefordshire
Restaurants Pub Food in Herefordshire
Therapies in Herefordshire
Eating & Drinking herefordshire
Retail Shops Buying local in Herefordshire
- Mailes Butchers
- West End Garage
- Hopes of Longtown
- E W Morgan & Sons
- Poston Mill Shop
- Ty Gwyn Cider Ltd
Things to do activites in herefordshire
- Bespoke by Nature Occasions
- Tan House - River Monnow fishing
- St Margarets Cider Co
- Battlelands - Paintballing
- The Garden of the Wind at Monnow Valley Arts
- Stables for Food & Gift shop
- Gwatkin Cider Company Ltd
- Puddlestone Nursery
- Learn Woodworking skills at Little Trewern
- Woodlands Edge
- The Goat Company
- The Little Blue Elephant Play Cafe
- Cwmbwlch Workshops
- A Taste of France - French Baking at Little Trewern
Need to stay longer?
Check out the B&B's, self-catering and camping in the area.
Nigel Ward Auctions for those who really want to find treasure in the Golden Valley
If you wish to cycle the Golden Valley, contact Drover Holidays who can deliver cycles to your door and they have electric bikes to help you cope with the Black Mountains.
For a quick guide of festivals in Herefordshire